Monday, June 11, 2018

Bridgewater Michelin Tire Trot 5km - 2018

A free race you say? Sure I'll sign up. I said that many months ago and finally that day arrived. The week leading up to it, I wasn't sure if I was going to "race" it, or just run it since many others in the BLT Runners were headed up that way. I mean, I had just finished a tough Duathlon the week before, hadn't really trained for a 5km and well, I was tired. But the few days before I decided sure, let's give it a go.

My goal was "simple." Let's aim to run a sub 18 minute 5km. Based on my results from earlier races this year, I had a sub 18 in me, but wasn't able to show case it. So this "moderate" terrain course was a good chance. And really with a switch to trail running, maybe the last great chance I had.

So a bunch of us met up for a carpool and headed down. Upon arrival, we signed in (super easy) and were delighted with the lovely weather. Or should I say, concerned about actual heat. It was 8:30 and the sun was high and bright.

Sarah and I did a course recon and were happy to see that much of it was going to be shaded, so that was a relief. It meant we could stand around in shorts prior to the race and not freeze.


Okay I guess I'll take the jacket off

A kids 1 km race was held before ours, and it was fun to watch close to 100 kids have a great run.

Then we were up. Run NS gave us some great opening remarks (there were a few issues with the course). Then just like that we were off.



The race starts with a sharp downhill for 200m, the a sharp 90 degree turn, so I knew I wanted to be out in front and not caught up in anything. And based on the course recon, I knew the first kilometer was a gradual decline.

Quickly we left the pavement and hit the crusher dust that made up 90% of the course. A quick glance back and I didn't immediately see anyone, but didn't want to take any risks as I know some people hold back. Then there I was, pushing hard to keep my pace up on the soft ground, occasionally enjoying the scenery, and just like that I was at the turn around.

As I turned to come back, I finally saw the next 2 guys. They seemed to be maybe 20-30 seconds behind me at that point. I am really bad at judging the turn around, so off I went trying not to be caught.

Now I had to go back on a narrow path with about 300 runners coming at me. I must say that most everyone was great at getting out of the way. A few waves and cheers, a few high fives as I pushed along. I appologize that I can't really focus much when racing on individuals, and I certainly can't do a lot of chatting back, so sorry if it looks like I am not paying attention to those cheering.

There were a few groups of runners that I actually had to run through the middle of, but luckily it all worked out. Welcome to out and back racing on a tight trail system.

By the time I hit the final kilometer, I knew that it was looking good for me as I couldn't see anyone behind me. My focus had to go back to not winning but getting a sub 18. So I had to kick up the effort. The soft ground and now consistent up grade were taking their toll. But soon, I popped out of the woods, back onto the pavement and to the finish. A hard kick up the last little incline and I crossed the line with the win and my goal. 17:56 officially. 


I credit the really short shorts with the win

So that was that. A manged to wait at the finish line for many other runners, cheering them home. And so many BLT Runners as well. A quick stop at the local Timmies for a post race coffee with the car pool and we were off to home. 



Now a few more multisport adventures and then it is trail season for the most part (MacPass Mile will likely still show up and maybe another MEC Race). 

No comments: