Saturday, August 27, 2022

Quick Update: VO2Max Testing

So Wednesday I popped up to Moncton to meet with Gilles at O2Max for a V.O2 Max test. 

I have done great stuff with the info that Kinesic Sport Lab gave me from various blood lactate tests and I really had no idea what new info I could receive.

I will also say that recently it is a little hard to get the motivation going because it feels like I have plateaued and at age 48 was there anywhere to go.

So the testing process is pretty simple and straight forward. Initially you test your lung capacity using a spirometer. From here we found out that I have pretty decently large lung capacity, almost 7 litres. So that was good to hear. We also took measurements of body composition: height, weight, body fat.

 After this the process is nice and easy. You put on a face mask that will measure your breathing as you ramp up through a treadmill running session. As your breath is being measured, so is your heart rate with a heart rate strap. The time on treadmill is only about 15 minutes but you have to push to the end.




After the test we determined that I am using 55% of those giant lungs at best. Essentially I am hyperventilating as I get faster but I have the capacity to push through and run like that for long periods.  My V.O2 Max is listed at 65 and I know from race results the VDotO2 training system that I am not hitting that level. I sit around a 58-59 usually, though I have seen a 60 once. While your V.O2 Max is only the potential you have, it is telling that with some extra effort to get more control of my breathing, I could certainly push past the plateau I am on. 

So where to? Learning to breath better. Take advantage of these huge lungs and see where I can go and maybe I haven’t plateaued quite yet.

I think both the Blood Lactate tests I have done and this V.O2 Max test have been amazing tools to help me become a better runner by using the tools I already have by training smarter.  And there is no time like right now to see what you could potentially do. New equipment on the market makes these sorts of test far more available to everyone. It is still essential to work with someone who can interpret the data you get and help you come up with the best plan going forward.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

by your results, you have an extra gear that you didn't know you had! Can you imagine breathing in 4.13L at 75% instead of your 55% or so at 3L. That's an extra 34L a minute of O2 and also means your ventilation of CO2 will increase. So 1 hour of zone 3 in a race would mean an extra 2040L of OXYGEN going into your muscles(and brain lol)