Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Food Glorious Food

Okay so a long time ago I rode really far on my bike with a fruit roll  up and a bottle of water. Needless to say, I fared poorly. A couple of years ago I rode 3 hours on a cool rainy day with 1 water and a Gatorade, think why would I need food. I just made it home. Usually I am good about food and water when I exercise, but occasionally I have been caught out.

Well that happened again the other day. And frankly I should have been paying attention more, but instead I have been paying so much attention to the actual exercise and things like increased base training, that I may have neglected my calories (and I am one of those people that needs a decent amount of calories). Well I won't make that mistake again this season.

Most of my training so far this year has been under 1 hour. 8-10K runs, bike commutes and swims. All in the name of building a good base. I don't need food during that level of exercise. I can easily make up that deficit when I get home or to work. But alas as I started to add in long runs in my attempt to get ready for a half marathon, I didn't think to bring anything with me.

My first 15K run was fine. I ran slow, I made it home and had a decent meal. It was very good. Then a week later I headed out for a long slow 20K run (well I headed out for a 2 hour run). I ran along and by the end I was dragging myself home. It took me 3 days to get back into shape.  a week later I ran with a bottle of Gatorade and a Powerbar. The next day I swam 2400M and rode 32 KM without any trouble.

So I write this mostly as a message to myself not to forget about calories and as a warning to others starting their long runs and long rides after a winter of slumber. Find something you can carry, bring 2 bottles on a ride, and if need be set your watch to beep every 20 minutes or so and take a bite and a swig of the bottle.

Now I need a rest. Just managed an 8K run at a 4:13 pace. Yeah, I had plenty to eat and drink today and had some good old chocolate milk when I got home. Mmmm.

2 comments:

themikestand said...

I know that personal preferences vary, but my key to running the half is two 250ml bottles on a belt, one gatorade and one water, and two gels. The first gel is at 45 minutes and the second is at 1:15. Use water after the gels and to chase the gatorade when you feel bonky. Usually I finish the second half of the gatorade when I'm done, and there's no water left.

Ian Loughead said...

Sounds good, Mike. My powerbar big bite with Gatorade chaser every 30 minutes (and a swig of the gatorade every 15 min) seems good so far. When the pace picks up a bit and the weather gets warmer I may require more.