Monday, June 26, 2017

MEC Race #3 - The Hot Hills of Cole Harbour

It was a humid start to the morning as I awoke to fog and mist but a temp of 15C at 6AM. A light breakfast and easy morning was in order as the race didn't start until 9AM, though I knew I needed to get there early to find parking. And while I did get there 1 hour early, close parking was still a bit of a jaunt. That meant I had to leave most of my warmup gear in the car.

As this was a new course for me, I decided to take my warm up run on course, specifically the first 2.5km portion. It was rolling hills, tight corners, crusher dust and a portion through a grassy path.

Due to the huge crowd that showed up (over 700) things were a little late starting. Eventually we got started almost 20 minutes late and by now the sun was in full shine mode.  The humidex was over 30C and there were no clouds in the sky. A course like this on a day like this is one of do what you can.

Finally the race got underway and a few of us grabbed the lead. As is usually the case, a few runners go out too hard and are soon over taken. All MEC races have multiple divisions starting together. So I tucked in behind the Half marathon leader, knowing his planned pace was going to be suitable for me.

As we finished the first 2.5km section, I was in second place with third right behind. Luckily there were a few shady bits and we all jumped into them as quickly as we could. This was an out and back course as well, so on the way out I was planning on how to run the course back. Finally we reached the 5km mark, I grabbed a little water and took a sip then turned right back, third still firmly attached to me.  Drew in 1st was way ahead and not a concern.


There was barely a flat spot on this course expect for kilometer 5 and 6. And after turning back, you then had to contend with oncoming runners. Everyone was really good though and quickly got out of the lead runners' way. Even though I was breathing pretty hard, third place was breathing harder. Then by around the 6 km mark, the breathing behind me started to get less.  At the 7km mark, I glanced back and saw that I had about a 100m cushion.

Now I will admit, at this point I hurt. The heat was taking its toll. I was now also starting to come upon 5km race runners going the same way as me, so many didn't know I was coming up fast behind them. A few times I had to run through the grass to get around.  At least, though I knew I wasn't alone in my hurt as I finally saw Drew again with about 1.5km to go. I had caught back up to him. I was still too far back, feeling a I did, to really mount a comeback attempt, but it was good to see him. 

I finally made it to the final corner, which was a 90 degree downhill, followed by a final short up to the line. As I got close I could see the time on the clock and I was still sub 39 min on this crazy course. So I pushed through and finished officially in 38:57. Whew. 2nd place overall, top Age Group. My heart rate averaged 178, which is really high for me on such a long race.



No comments: