Monday, September 24, 2018

MEC Race 4 - Musquodoboit 15km


So I couldn't resist signing up for MEC Race 4, even though speed wasn't my thing this summer. The body was feeling pretty good, and this race usually allows for some fast times. Also, I figured it would give me a chance to actually regain a little speed lost during my switch to trail running, while limiting the stress on the body (it is a flat crusher dust trail run).

A bunch of BLT Runners headed out of town to take this race on, and a lot of great results were had.

I'll keep it all brief, since the story is pretty straight forward. I had a main goal and that was to run at a 3:45 min/km pace for the race. That would best my current PB at a 15km race which was set here last year while running a Half Marathon training pace run of 3:48. Last year I finished 4th, so it certainly wouldn't have hurt to grab a placing as well, but the A goal was the important thing.

So i lined up at the front with a few people and soon we were off. I jumped into the lead and felt good, settling into my opening pace, then easing back just a touch to get to around 3:45.


It didn't take long before myself and Luke put in a gap to third and I dragged us along for a bit.


By about the 4-5 km area, Luke jumped in front of me and started to pull away. I didn't feel bad, but I also knew that I couldn't burn myself up this early. And not knowing how strong Luke was, I didn't want to risk the main goal. So I stayed on at a 3:45 pace.

As I hit the turn around, Luke had a good 200 m gap on me and looked strong. I was certainly feeling the pace, but was doing fine. By the time I saw third place, I had a good 500-600m of gap and felt comfortable that i could work my own race at this point. Slowly Luke pulled away. 

For the rest, i just kept the pace as even as possible, eventually catching up with 10km and 5 km runners. There was plenty of room to pass people, so that wasn't an issue. With about 300m to go, I started to pick up the pace, though my average was right on. I eventually crossed in 55:36 with an average pace of 3:44 and was totally happy. I feel that pushing too much harder wasn't where I was that day, so any attempt at going for the win was not realistic. Second place overall, though, was wonderful. 

The cool Fall temperature was perfect for a hard effort. and I think that shows in my heart rate graph.


I was able to keep things perfectly flat, with a small surge at the end over the last 2.5 minutes. 

Now to rest up and get ready for the Rum Runner Relay.

No comments: