Sunday, September 15, 2019

Where has the Summer Gone? 2019

So it has been awhile. After June I made a switch for the summer to trail running, like last year. This year with the goal of a nice race in PEI. Along the way I had some great adventures. 

I began with a birthday run on the Bluff Trail. For those that don't know, it is approximately 24 km to do the out limits of the whole trail system of single track fun.  I had never taken the time to do the whole trail before and I must say, it was darn fun, though tough for sure. Next time I do it, I hope it isn't raining.


Our local Park Run has been an absolute awesome event since I started going to it earlier this year. 5 km of fun. This summer I used it mostly as a tempo run, as I always find doing those solo tough. In this environment, a pseudo race, I find it much easier to push myself.  I have had some great success as well, with many sub 18 minute runs.

When Luke shows up, we try and do a litter run afterwards as well.


Oh and there was this one Park Run where I ran, finished and switched into volunteer mode. And why not, these events need support to exist and giving back is easy to do. #highvizhero


The race in PEI went pretty well. I feel I ran a strong and solid effort for it. Sadly, someone removed course markers (not other racers), so we at the front missed a crucial turn. Eventually we found our way back on course but that added an extra 3 km and dropped me from 3rd to 10th overall. The course was stunning though and is a run I think anyone that likes to race on trails should consider. 


From the trails of PEI to the trail of Colorado. It was off to visit family and when we do that, you can't miss out on running there. The elevation, the heat, the threat of rattle snakes (I did see one) and the jet lag make for some tough runs, but the scenery is wonderful. 


Back home and another Park Run with members of the BLT Runners, who have been strong supporters of this event. In fact for Canadian running clubs, we are the fourth biggest group attending Park Runs. Congrats to us! 


Oh and this weekend? Well, I went to Park Run on Saturday and was feeling good. I knew I want ed to give a good hard effort and even wore my fast shoes. The weather was cool, there was no wind and I thought I had a good shot at a good time. 

Kyle showed up and said he was going to grab a good sub 17 minute time. I knew I couldn't do that, as my PB was 17:31, and this is a tough course (downhill 2.5 km and then uphill 2.5km). I thought if I could hang with him on the downhill, that would give me a good shot at getting near my PB. And I did manage to hang with him, clocking the first 2 kilometers at 3:20 and 3:22. Kilometer 3 is half down ad half up, but it is more flat at that point, so I managed a 3:26. Kyle was pulling away at this point but I could use him to mentally pull me along through kilometer 4, which is the toughest. I dropped my average pace to a 3:36, but as I started the final kilometer I looked and my avg pace was 3:27, well below my PB time from earlier this year. So I pushed the pace up a little until the final 200m and gave it what I had left. I crossed in 17:19 and a new PB was born. That was hard. My heart rate was truly maxed out.

With Fall approaching, I will be into a few different things, race directing, Rum Runners, pacing at Valley Harvest, and one more duathlon. Still loads of fun to be had.   

No comments: