Saturday, March 27, 2021

Shoe Review - The New On CloudSwift

 

So I got the opportunity to try out the newly launched On CloudSwift. This was my first real time running in the Swift, so I can't compare it with the previous generation. I can compare it to the CloudFlow, which I loved and spent a large part of last year running in.

On markets this as an Urban running shoe. I live in the suburbs and can say, it is just at home here. Perhaps the concept is protection from constant running on the hard unforgiving sidewalks of the city center. 

So, compared with the Flow, the first thing I noticed was a lot more shoe. It is physically bigger, though the extra weight it comes with is not very noticeable. While I did read some other reviews that claimed to order up in size due to a snug fit, I found it was fine in the same size for me. Perhaps I didn't mind it as the upper in this shoe is quite supple and forgiving. I found that with the Flow as well, it really lets your foot and the upper work together, rather than trying to contain and prevent movement of your foot. Various shoe companies come up with interesting ways to do this same thing, I find Ons works well for me. 

The upper also is unique in two ways. The tongue is actually part of the main shoe, so it is not an independent piece. This makes the upper feel snug and form fitting (see above). It is interesting. I am not sure if this is really essential to me, but it certainly isn't a problem. 

The next interesting piece is the "plates" on the sides that hold the upper portion of the laces. I really like this in these shoes as it seems to almost provide for two zones of lace tightening. I can make it quite snug at the top while leaving it looser nearer the toes. I personally like this. I am not sure I want this system on all my shoes, as I suspect it adds a little weight.

So after a few weeks of running in this here is my Pros and Cons list:

Pros: Peppy but cushioned. While I have been mostly running easy in these shoes they haven't slowed me down. They have a perfect bit of squish into the ground but pop off the surface. I am guessing this is a combo of the Speedboard and the Clouds. On recovery runs, I come home feeling refreshed.

Nice looking. So this is subjective for sure, but I find On shoes quite nice to look at. The colour palate is very "Urban" I guess, so muted and designed to fit in after your run is done and you head to grab some food or coffee. My pair are denim coloured. 

Laces stay tied. This seems hit or miss on some shoes I own. I don't have to double tie these shoes, and they just have simple flat laces. Up to 15km of running and no issues. Maybe it is the upper side plates? Not sure. But very nice.

Cons: The heel isn't that secure "feeling." Now I say "feeling" because it feels like my heel is sliding around a bit when I run faster, but it doesn't really seem to affect the way I run. After a kilometer or so of easy running, I don't notice it, so ultimately it isn't that big of an issue. I haven't done any speed work other than a couple of strides which went well. So I doubt I will reach for these when the night calls for a tempo run or intervals. But I would totally reach for them for a recovery after a hard tempo run or race.   

On claims these are designed for shorter runs. I have taken them up to 15km and had no issues. 100 km in and they aren't showing any wear yet, and since I likely won't be using them for harder runs or really long runs, I suspect they will last a good amount of time. 

No comments: