Thursday, May 20, 2010

Getting Fueled for Racing

Over the last few years I have really tried to get my eating sorted out. I mean, I like to eat. Food is yummy as is beverage. But alas I weighed a little too much and had really bad heartburn, forcing me to take meds (yuck). So I changed what I ate somewhat, added a smattering of exercise and voila life was better.

Well that dietary change was fine for a smattering of exercise (20 minute bike rides and some nice long walks with a little yoga), but now I train to run and cycle and swim and also add those together for triathlons and duathlons. So I figured I should eat even better.

Don't get me wrong. I still love to eat and most things are good (and the bad stuff is generally better), but now I eat to fuel the body for racing (or training). So what does that entail?
Well for me that means doing my best to avoid the premade food section of the grocery store, save yummy milk based products like cheese and yogurt. It has also meant delving into the world of whole grains and seeds.

Thanks to the Bulk Barn (our local bulk food store), I have access to so many odd and exciting grains, seeds and nuts. And I use these to make great breakfast porridges, bake some really awesome breads and recently I have discovered the exciting (get ready) Seed Loaf! This is based on a sidedish recipe I found but have since modified to make it a powerhouse side or main dish. It includes massive amounts of good fibers, proteins, and carbs and is quite low in fat. And it can easily be tailored to suit most tastes.

So here it is for the adventurous:

Take 1/2 cup uncooked grains/seeds: I used quinoa, millet, scotch oats, lentils, poppy seeds and flax seeds
Add 1 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt, bring to boil, reduce to medium low (simmer level) and cover for 10 minutes
This will require a little stirring occasionally but when you do open the lid to stir, drop in 1 tsp of thyme and basil or rosemary or frankly whatever herbs you really like (want spice add cayenne).
When it is done cooking take it off the heat and add 1/2 cup of veggies (your choice I like frozen corn and spinach). If you are adding root veggies chop them up and add to the grains when you add the spices to get them a bit softer.
Now stir in 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1 beaten egg.
Place this into a baking dish and bake in a 375F oven for 45 minutes. Take out, let cool and bit and voila, yum yum. The powerhouse of food, IMO.

This is great for post exercise or lunch at work to keep you fueled for the day. Though if you aren't a big grain person, don't eat this right before the big race. A tad too much fiber for those with delicate tummies.

Have fun at the Bluenose this weekend, those in Nova Scotia. I will be running the 10K. Bad knee and all (ugh). But at least I won't be hungry.

2 comments:

Laura Reardon Keefe said...

This is great Ian!
Can't wait to try it!
Laura Keefe

Ian Loughead said...

Let me know how it goes. It is pretty simple and can easily be tailored to any taste.