Tuesday, August 7, 2018

MacPass Mile 2018 and the Rest of the Weekend

Wow, August already? This hot summer has been trying as far as training goes. I guess in this instance, it is a good thing that my main goal is a Fall trail race where overall speed isn't as important as getting some good time on feet and some hills in. 

So it was Natal Day Weekend in Halifax and that meant it was time for some racing. This year I opted to do the MacPass Mile again, a 1 mile race across the MacDonald Bridge. This is a tough mile as it starts on a downhill, then a steep uphill and finally an equally steep downhill to false flat finish. This race separates into A Women's Race, then a Men's Race, followed by a Girl's and finally Boy's race.  

The heat was gone from the proceeding days and like last year, the rain came. A good steady rain as well. At least it was cool! My main goal is time and not placing, and due to the hilliness of this mile, and the slippery nature of the surface, I didn't want to kill myself, so I didn't try to specifically place well.  



Here we are all lined up, slightly wet, but with a good warmup in our legs (Craig, Jordan and I had a great little warmup run with some strides)


The idea is to head out strong to be able to choose your line and avoid painted road surfaces. But you also have to be careful on the downhill start not to blow out of hamstring or go so hard you trip.


I took the steep climb reasonably easy, saving myself for the downhill. By the top of the hill I think I was in about 8th or 9th place. As I crested the top, I had plenty in the tank and started to pick up the pace. By the mid point of the race I found myself in 4th. 

Now it was all about mental power and holding form. You have to not over stride coming down or the pounding will just drain you before the line. 


I pulled away from 5th place but in no way could catch 3rd. Check out that gap!


As I approached the line, the clock was nearing 5 minutes. I pushed a little extra, but just didn't make the mark, finishing in 5:03. Still that was better than 5:07 from last year and it hurt less. Not bad, considering I haven't done much out right speed work this summer. That was good enough for a 3:08 pace, 4th place overall and 2nd place in my Age Group.

It was also great seeing so many BLT Runners hit PBs as well. Many smiles were shining in the rain.

The new tradition is to gather as many people as possible and head over to the Montreal Bagel place for a treat and chat. This year I opted for the BLT Bagel. Mmmmm.


That fuel was then put to good use as Craig and I headed out to do some hill repeats. No, not those, run up hills fast and stroll down kind. Instead I found a 2 km hill with a 3.7% average grade and we ran up that and then down at an easy pace. My goal was 2 hours of running on hills and this provided that. Craig had to leave after 3 and really only got to run in the blazing hot sun that had come out. My next 3 were done in pouring rain. It was nice having some company for the first bit. 


26 km in total and 2 hours later I was at the Bike and Bean to meet my wife (she did some hills as well). I could literally ring out my clothes. 


I'm not a huge beer drinker, but after close to 30 km of running I figured I could have one. This hit the spot, Nine Locks. 


The next day was a rest day, so into the woods for some hiking we went. Dang it was hot.



So a pretty decent weekend of fun and running and hiking. Oh, and a few moments of feet up and relaxing as well. 

No comments: